Saturday 28 July 2007


This year, to avoid getting jumped by Christmas when I wasn't looking (again) I vowed I would make Christmas cards on the 25th of every month. Then, come December, I would sit back and smugly laugh at all the panicking losers who didn't have the foresight to get organised during the year and make them in advance.

So here we are, seven 25th-of-the-months later. And here it is, my, um, second card of the year. And the first one only got made as part of a challenge. Despite my good intentions, I just never seemed to get around to doing it. If there is one thing that defines me, it's my disorganisedness. And my insistence on using words that don't exist. (Why isn't "coughter" a word? Why??)

The stamp is by Karen Stolper for American Art Stamps. I bought one at Port Sunlight earlier in the year and liked it so much I bought the company. Well, I bought a lot, anyway. I really like them, they are cute and funky at the same time.

The papers are from last year's HOTP Christmas pack. I embossed the patterned paper with my Cuttlebug Happy Birthday folder by accident, thinking it was the Christmas one, but it doesn't really show. The problem with this card is really the appalling scalloped edges on the mounts. I bought two pairs of scalloped scissors a couple of weeks ago, and they're just rubbish, they chew up pretty much everything I try to cut. You can see the edges on this example are fuzzy and not crisp.

One pair was a cheap Dovecraft pair, so I suppose you get what you pay for but the other were Fiskars and slightly more expensive. I've tried cutting through foil to sharpen them a little but it doesn't seem to work. Ideas, anyone? Am I doing something wrong? Also, do any of the Cricut carts or Cuttlebug dies have scalloped edge shapes on them?

8 comments:

Alhambra Club said...

This card is wonderful, love these stamps.

Anonymous said...

Great card, I too, smugly bought the means to make 110 christmas cards (why? I dont know 110 people!), but they sit, forlornly unmade in their lovely box. And I expect they will sit there for years to come while I fork out for nasty WHSmiths cards :)
Regarding the scallop scissors, I too bought some cheapy ones and they chewed everything to bits, I then bought the Fiskars ones, the Clouds ones are the nicest, but I also have large and small scallops (not really, it's just the way I walk :)) Unfortunately, in the world of scallop scissors, you do get what you pay for.
The only Cricut card that has scallops is the new Accent Essentials one, not available unless you also buy the new Cricut Expression - Bah!
Anyway, great card, love the stamp and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your Christmas collection :)
Jackie xx

Paula Whittaker said...

gorgeous card, wonderfully coloured stamped image and great mix of coloured papers.

Maureen said...

I love the card!!! I also admire your attempt at getting organized. I put my cards off till the very last minute, swearing I shall never do so again... until the same scenario repeats itself all over again the following year.

So Sonya said...

Brilliant card, the stamp is fab!!!

Kate said...

Sam - it's lovely, as usual. But, unless you are planning to send them to us, what will you do with them? Nobody but us crafty folks will appreciate the effort you put into them (!!). Normal people just chuck all their cards out on Boxing Day - okay, not quite then, but I noticed this year many people were taking down their deccies very early. Not in this house, we keep birthday cards up for months!!!

Kerrie's Crafting Corner said...

oooh Sam I love that card, never seen that stamp before but I love it!

Just invested in a pair of scalloped scissors (fiskars) too picked them up quite cheap on ebay worth a look!

Sallyh said...

I've just bought some fiskars wide scallop scissors but the only way to get them to cut properly is to make sure I press them down straight make sure you do not pull the handles to the sides IYKWIM. Love the card