Monday 9 July 2007


An 8x8 of my youngest when he was about 6 months old.

I am bowled over by this photo. It's a detail from this larger, fairly nondescript shot of him lounging around in one of those baby nests.

I've never used it before because you can see his scabby head. He has a scabby head because he had very bad cradle cap and used to scratch it a lot. We thought he was bald, but not long after this photo was taken I picked the cradle cap off and found a luxuriant mane of hair under there.

That last sentence doesn't make me sound very good, does it?

I have never previously mucked around with my photos. What goes in through the lens I pretty much scrap. I haven't figured out how to use either of my printers properly, and the nitwit photo editor I have never seems to do the same thing twice, so I always thought what's the point? But I was looking through Kirsty Wiseman's lovely site last night and her gorgeous work inspired me to have a crack at mixing things up a little.
.
I downloaded Picasa and found it brilliantly easy to use, very menu driven and consistent in what its does. Of course, it coming courtesy of Google and being free probably means it's romping round my hard drive right now with a view to reporting back my every keystroke to its sinister, faceless masters. Still, it had a whole bundle of quick fixes and I didn't have to use any skill or judgement to get some really nice results, so really, what ya gonna do? It's probably waaaay too basic for the Kirsty Wiseman's of this world, but for me it's a giant leap forward. I bet this is how Annie Liebovitz got started!

I kept the LO simple so as not to detract from the photo but I think I will re-scrap a busier version as this is a bit too pared down for me. The stitching around the edge was done using the Cutterbee thingy again. Once again it didn't prick through the cardstock. It was good for establishing an even pattern for where to sew, but surely it should actually go through the card? Maybe I'm using it wrong.

4 comments:

Paula Whittaker said...

wow you made a super job with the photo....and I LOVE that LO...maybe its just me,but I love simple/clean styled LO's...it makes the photo the star of the show, and it certainly is.

Kate said...

I often worry about what all the computer warlords are learning about me, and then I figure it's nothing very interesting (to them! hehe)!!
I think your photo editing is delightful. I would have shoved it under the machine and zigzagged it, but I'm a bit of a maniac! I am interested to see the busier version, so get on with it!! xx

mum-on-the-run said...

OOh great LO Sam, and well done on the editing!! The photo is stunning.

emilia in Taiwan said...

Wow, very impressive. Simple and wonderful. I love it!