Sunday 22 July 2007

Some pics of my Bee Boy, he has to go dressed as a bug to school tomorrow (we still have another week in school here).


I spent the evening cheerfully swearing at the sewing machine last night. There was a glorious five minutes or so, where I finally figured out how to make it work, and the place sounded like Baldwin's Casuals on bonus day. Then, mid-seam, a spring, a rivet and a bobbin pinged out and shot across the room. It was like one of those clown cars exploding at the circus. Anyway, it refused to budge again after that so I had to finish the costume off by hand.

A little rough round the edges, but even so I think you'll agree I've got a general bee vibe going on here! It would look better if he'd agree to wear the black tights I bought, but sadly it seems that there are some things a six year old boy simply won't do, even for his mother.

I bought the fun fur material from John Lewis. It's lovely but it's shedding fibres like mad, even though I hemmed each strip before stitching them to his top. There are a number of asthmatic kids in his class. I suspect that after tomorrow there may well be a few more.

I am particularly pleased with those wings. The photo doesn't do them justice, but they do look quite bee-y in real life.

Anyway must dash, have to make 30 scrummy little insect buns for him to take with him.

Sewing and bun making! Am Domestic Goddess after all. I knew it!!

9 comments:

LISA said...

awwwwww sam that looks great.....he looks like a fab bee.
LOve lily xxx

Anonymous said...

Wow Sam it's brilliant. Well done hun
love and hugs
Clare xxx

Becky Stewart said...

I love it Sam!! He looks sooooooo cute! I don't think I could have done it!

mum-on-the-run said...

Awww, great photies!!

The costume looks great, shame about the tights ;)

Yummers! said...

'Cute as a bug' costume and son (couldn't resist). You did a great job! But string-up the teacher that put all the parents to so much work!
Joni

Paula Whittaker said...

Bless him in his bee-tastic costume...you did a fab job there Sam, I wouldnt have known where to start!

Debby Winters said...

Hi! I found your blog through another blog (http://stampinwhenican.blogspot.com/)
What a great blog you have here! And a darling little boy too. The costume is sooo cute! He is a very lucky boy to have such a talented Mom!

Kerrie's Crafting Corner said...

You have done a fantastic job Sam.. I wouldn't have a clue where to start.. hope it went down well at school!

xxx

Maureen said...

BEE-utiful!